Fire suppression system averted potential disaster

WARWICKSHIRE Fire and Rescue Service has said a potentially devastating blaze was prevented at an office building in Leamington due to the fire suppression system the occupiers had installed.

Firefighters were called to Millward Brown UK Ltd in Olympus Avenue, Tachbrook Park, in the early hours of Sunday April 29 after a fire had started in a first-floor computer room.

Two crews from Leamington tacked the fire, which is believed to have started in a large battery back-up store inside a metal cabinet.

The radiant heat ignited some paper and cardboard which could have easily spread had the company’s fire suppression system not kicked in.

Gary Phillips, deputy chief fire officer, said: “Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service would like to commend Millward Brown for having a Fire Suppression System in place.

Advertisement

“Not only did it stop the fire from developing, but it also saved the business from going up in flames, which in this economic climate is a real benefit, not only for the organisation, but also for the staff who are employed there and the community as a whole.

“As a fire and rescue Service we have long been petitioning for suppression systems such as sprinklers to be fitted in homes and businesses.

“In our role we see the devastation fires cause, but get frustrated by knowing that something as simple as a suppression or sprinkler system could stop a real disaster from occurring.”

More information about fire safety at businesses can be found by clicking here.