‘Huge shock’ for south Warwickshire village, where St Lucia murder victim lived

Villagers in Moreton Paddox near Leamington have offered their prayers to local woman Margaret Pratt, whose husband Roger Pratt was murdered on their yacht in St Lucia on Friday.
Roger Pratt, who was killed in St Lucia.Roger Pratt, who was killed in St Lucia.
Roger Pratt, who was killed in St Lucia.

The 62-year-old was killed on board the boat in the Caribbean after reportedly defending his wife during a robbery.

Mr Pratt and his wife Margaret, who were from Moreton Paddox, were on a round-the-world trip when the attack occurred in the port of Vieux Fort.

Mrs Pratt was injured during the attack but has been released from hospital and is helping police with their inquiries. Police in St Lucia say three people are in custody, but no arrests have so far been made.

The Rev John Parker from Moreton Morrell Holy Cross church said that although he did not personally know the couple, who had rented out their house, “Moreton Paddox was very much their home”.

He said: “Having heard the news that a British man had been murdered on Saturday, most villagers woke up on Sunday morning to find out that he was a local man. It’s been a huge shock for everyone.

“When Margaret does return home, the community here will give her all the support she needs. We said a special prayer for her during our service on Sunday.”

The cause of Mr Pratt’s death has not been established, but police said there was no evidence he had been shot. A post-mortem examination is due to take place today (Monday).

Police have reported that three armed men had boarded the boat, named the Magnetic Attraction, and attacked the couple before fleeing.

Mrs Pratt found her husband floating in the nearby waters. The couple were to taken hospital, but Mr Pratt was pronounced dead on arrival.

The couple had been travelling since June, when they left from Suffolk and headed for the Algarve, before navigating their way to the Caribbean.

They had been celebrating Mrs Pratt’s birthday when the attack took place.

Writing on their blog hours before the attack, Mrs Pratt said they had planned to leave the island some time before, but immigration checks had been delayed.

The Foreign Office is currently providing consular assistance to the family.