Toxic smoke fills the air as fire breaks out at a landfill site near Rugby

Residents are being advised to keep doors and windows shut

Firefighters were called to the scene of a fire at a landfill site near Rugby.

Crews were called to the scene this morning (Sunday November 28).

Sign up to our daily WarwickshireWorld Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The incident has happened at the Ling Hall Landfill site in Coalpit Lane in Lawford Heath.

At the time of the incident Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service is advising residents in the area are keep their doors and windows closed due to toxic smoke from the fire.

A spokesperson from Rugby Fire Station said that firefighters have been working to stop the fire spreading and that it may take time to fully extinguish.

A spokesperson from Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service added: "We were alerted to reports of a large quantity of waste well alight at 08.22am and sent three fire appliances plus a water carrier appliance to Ling Hall Quarry landfill site, Coalpit Lane, Lawford Heath.

"The fire was quickly brought under control."

Fire crews were called to a fire at a landfill site near Rugby. Photo by Rugby Fire Station
Fire crews were called to a fire at a landfill site near Rugby. Photo by Rugby Fire Station
Fire crews were called to a fire at a landfill site near Rugby. Photo by Rugby Fire Station