Disciplined display sets up Rowington’s Winchcombe win

A fine team display from Rowington earned them a 45-run win over Winchcombe in Division Two.

After the loss of two early wickets, Dale Glover and Scott Rogers rebuilt the innings with a stand of 79 before Glover (39) became Ballinger’s second victim.

Tommy Williams joined Rogers and they added 57 before Williams changed his mind on a second run and left Rogers (63) stranded.

Williams departed two runs later for 26 but Tom Jefferson weighed in with an unbeaten 30 to lift Rowington to 206 for six from their 45 overs.

Winchcombe reached 77 for two in reply before a three-wicket burst from Sam Turrell (3-31) reduced them to 93 for five.

Glover chipped in with a wicket and with the bowlers being carefully rotated, Winchcombe were unable to regain the momentum, finally being bowled out for 161, with Andy Shaw (2-14) returning to administer the last rites.

Wellesbourne came out on top in a fluctuating Premier Division encounter at Shipston which had been in doubt right up to the start due to the previous day’s heavy rain.

Skipper Gary Betteridge had no hesitation in asking the visitors to bat first and Jon Walker soon exploited conditions by bowling Patrick Prasad (2), while Luke Canning held on to a skier to dismiss Jamie Maynard.

Gary Maynard dropped down the order to four but his run drought continued as Paul Cross took a fine catch to reward an excellent spell by Marcus Ireland (2-34).

Walker then completed his ten-over spell by picking up the wicket of Nathan Edwards to leave the visitors on 51 for four.

Opener Tom Wheeler (58) found a willing ally in Tom Shearsby, who survived an early chance to add 54 for the fifth wicket.

Shearsby formed further useful alliances with Darren Mole (16) and Dave Barnett (23) before becoming the seventh wicket to fall, one short of a deserved 50.

Wellesbourne’s final total of 186 for nine from 45 overs was always going to test the home side’s batsmen, but they looked well placed when Jack Murphy (43) and Cross raced to 48 in seven overs.

Jamie Maynard’s introduction ended the innings of Cross for 19 and from the relative security of 72 for two, Shipston quickly subsided to to 97 for eight.

An ninth-wicket stand of 48 between Matthew Pratt (19 not out) and Luke Canning (25) gave some respectability to the score, but Shipston were finally dismissed for 148, with Stephenson, Jamie Maynard and Shearsby picking up three wickets apiece.

Leek Wootton are still awaiting their first home win of the season after they were comfortably beaten by promotion-chasing FISSC.

Fine opening spells from Matt Budd (2-34) and Ian Cox (1-32) reduced FISSC to 21 for three before solid middle-order batting enabled the visitors to post a respectable 210 off 44 overs.

Encouraging support bowling from Wootton’s Abdul Khan (3-37), Couchman (2-38) and Dec Cook (2-55) underlined the improvement the villagers have made in recent weeks.

Wootton’s reply got off to the worst possible start as opener Aaron Kettle was forced to retire hurt with a groin injury and with last week’s record-breakers Cox and Graeme Couchman unable to repeat their heroics, Leek Wootton slumped to 14 for three.

Some order of stability was restored by opener Tim Dart (28), who continued his impressive recent form, and a long overdue contribution from Jon Andrews (36).

However, when FISSC’s Ricky Stokes dismissed Dart, Wootton’s lower order collapsed, with only an unorthodox last-wicket stand between Andrews and Matt Budd taking Wootton past 100.

In a tightly fought Division Three match, Stanway held their nerve to secure a two-run final-over win over Wellesbourne 2nds.

After being put in, Stanway never got away from some tight bowling, losing their final wicket in the 45th over for 140.

Skipper Green top-scored with 35 before falling to the impressive Matt Dutton who finished with three for 18 from his ten overs. Ricky Alford picked up three wickets at the death.

Wellesbourne’s batsman found scoring equally difficult, with Rothwell’s 23 proving their largest contribution.

Ninth-wicket pair Woods and Griffin looked to be edging Wellesbourne to victory until Griffin chased a wide one and was caught behind for 15.

Six runs were required for victory off the last over, bowled by Jo Cull, with three coming off the first two balls.

However, Cull’s third delivery trapped Blakemore lbw to leave Bourne three runs shy of victory.

In Division Six, the long-awaited debut of Leicestershire League veteran Dave Poulton failed to prevent Leek Wootton 2nds suffering a 166-run defeat at the hands of promotion-chasing Inkberrow.

Wootton’s Rob Hammet (2-27) and Jake Clifford (3-48) were in inspired form as they reduced the Worcestershire outfit to 65 for five.

However, solid partnerships throughout the late middle order ensured Inkberrow posted a respectable 206 for eight off their full quota of 45 overs.

Leek Wootton then suffered an all-to-familiar batting collapse, with only club stalwart Roger Jenkins occupying the crease for any length of time as the villagers were dismissed for a paltry 40.

n Leek Wootton 3rds produced their best display of the season to coast to victory over Leamington Khalsa on Sunday.

Impressive displays from Juggy Chima (2-11 off six overs) and Shaun Clifford (4-18 off seven overs) exerted a stranglehold on the Khalsa innings from which they never escaped.

Aided by a lively spell from youngster Ollie Robinson, Wootton dismissed Khalsa for 105, with only veteran Surinder Sood (25) offering any resistance with a patient 86-ball innings.

In reply, openers Lee Farndon and Gurdeep Bains laid the foundations for Wootton’s reply with an entertaining 40-run partnership, leaving youngsters Ash Clifford (28) and Matt Budd (16 not out) to ease Wootton to an impressive victory.

Kenilworth Town 3rds lost out in a low-scoring encounter against Tanworth & Camp Hill.

Only Jae Naik (16), Charlie Stranks (15) and Roger Kelsey (13) reached double figures as Kenilworth were dismissed for just 79.

Tanworth and Camp Hill did not have it all their own way in reply, however.

Tom Pope took two for 15 and Stranks two for 11, but an unbeaten 40 from Brazier proved decisive as Tanworth reached their target for the loss of five wickets.

Related topics: